I survived another surgery

Disclaimer: I just got out of hospital so I am heavily drugged as I write this.  So if something seems weird or unclear, blame the knives and drugs.

This morning as I was getting ready to leave for surgery, it was very rough.  Some prep work was very painful and unpleasant plus I did not sleep at all.  So not a good start to the day.  The unpleasantries had me questioning if I made the right decision to push to skip the antibiotics and go right for surgery.

Talking with the surgeon before helped to put me at ease.  She, Dr. Force,  is a young doctor who is part of the main surgeon's team.  She is very nice and you can tell she cares.

After surgery, Dr. Force not only talked with Jim and answered all the questions I wanted him to ask her, she also stopped by to check in on me.  In talking with her, she basically said going ahead with the surgery right away was absolutely the best decision.  She was able to drain the new abscess that formed and while she had me opened up, she went ahead and changed out the old drainage string and put in a fresh string that wasn't quite as long.  She said that all this should help me feel a lot more comfortable and should greatly help relieve the pain I have been experiencing.

Dr. Force also said it was ok for me to have my follow up for this procedure with the surgeon who referred me to them from Tallahassee, Dr. Crooms.  That saves a trip down to Ft. Lauderdale.

Jim asked Dr. Force about the 6 week follow up that I have to come down to Ft Lauderdale for and asked if that is when they will do the definitive cure all surgery.  She told him that they will see then if they can do that surgery at that time.  But they have to make sure that I am fully recovered from this last procedure...... So, if I had tried the antibiotic route first, it looks like that would have been ineffective again considering the nature of the last abscess and I would have had to had this latest surgery anyways.  That means I would have had to come back down here 2 weeks later, been examined, found out I needed the abscess removal surgery then the recovery would have definitely pushed back my big surgery further.... dragging this on several more weeks.  So now, I have 6 weeks to recover from this last procedure and hopefully it will be enough time to heal up and go ahead with the big one.

So THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all of your prayers, love and support.  I have no doubt that helped me have the wherewithal to make the difficult decision to push for today's surgery. In a lot a ways, it seems like this last surgery, while frustrating and painful, has paved the way for things to work better going forward.

Please keep up your prayers.  As sweet and caring as Dr. Force is, she is also a bit sadistic.  She told Jim that I need to regularly work the string and even do flossing motions with it to keep me draining.  I can't begin to express how much that makes me want to gag and freaks me out knowing the pain that will cause every time I do that.
So know that there is going to be a lot of suffering I'll be offering up for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Counting down to follow up visit

recovery from big day

Youtube content